A quick look into the past… the morning of November 3rd, 2019: I was sitting on my boyfriend’s living room floor because my phone charger wouldn’t reach all the way to the sofa, or even to the table in front of the sofa. I was going through my Twitter notifications while waiting for my phone to charge above 30%. I hate when it’s below 30%, makes me feel nervous. Having said that, when anything falls below 60% (smartphone, laptop, Kindle…) I feel nervous.
Anyway, there I was on the floor, and suddenly I could hardly believe what I was seeing on my phone. There was a tweet from Kim (Keeping It Mindful) that listed me in the Sunshine Blogger Award nominations! I wasn’t completely sure what it meant at the time, but it felt very significant (I was nominated), and I had to check the tweet and the list and my name multiple times to see if it was actually me or if I had somehow been mistaken.
I’ve been blogging for less than two months, so it was a huge surprise being included! I learned more about it by reading the follow-up post from Kim explaining what this was all about. What a fun and awesome initiative this is! 😄😭
And as if one nomination is not surprising enough, I got a 2nd nomination from Jordyn from Living on the Upbeat a few days later, which means, as I took my time writing this topic, I’m going to answer a total of 22 questions below instead of the usual 11. 😄 Thank you so much, Jordyn, for nominating me as well! This is incredibly motivating.
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given by bloggers to other bloggers, as a way to encourage and recognise their positivity and creativity, and to overall recognise the sunshine they bring to the blogging community with their writing.
Nominating someone for the award is a way of recognising their potential as a blogger, and to cheer them on and encourage them to grow and develop further!
- In your post, thank the blogger(s) who nominated you, and link back to their blog.
- List these rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your blog post.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger(s) asked you.
- Nominate 11 new bloggers for the award and ask them 11 new questions.
- Let the nominees know about their nomination.
11 questions from Kim & my answers
1. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
I would live on a space station or a comfortable space ship like they do on Star Trek. Well, or any space-related Sci-Fi series, really. 😁 If humans were to colonise another planet, I’d be the first to go! It would be great if they had an internet link with Earth though so I could keep blogging and watching Netflix.
2. Who is your hero? Why?
My boyfriend is my hero. He saved me from myself two years ago, and still does. 💛 Looking back to the time before my mental health recovery journey began, although I don’t have any names or identity of that person, I would also count as my hero the phone operator at the Samaritans who I called when I really needed to talk to someone. (A bit more about that here if you’re curious).
3. What makes you laugh the most… like, hold your sides, tears falling, laughter?
Wow, this makes me think. I can’t recall any moment where I have laughed like this in the past few years. I do laugh nowadays, but I don’t remember laughing that hard. Maybe one day I can let go and laugh until tears are falling! However, here’s a story from my childhood when I did laugh so hard that I thought I would faint and suffocate! I hope that counts for this question somehow. 😀
I was in a grocery store with my best friend, browsing the candy aisle and holding a chocolate bar, inspecting the price and saying it out loud to my friend. A guy (older, creepy dude, although at the time he was just a normal older person) came to stand next to us and said something like “Girls, I can get you whatever you want with that same price.” We didn’t say anything or react, just thought he was a bit weird, and he eventually left.
A few minutes after, having chosen the chocolate bar I wanted to buy, I turned around and saw my friend already approaching the cashier. I started running after her to catch up – I ran, chocolate bar first, straight into that same creepy dude – of course, the chocolate bar smashed into him, straight into the groin area!!
I started laughing SO hard that I dropped everything I was carrying and doubled over, just couldn’t stop laughing and my friend was SO embarrassed. I couldn’t see the guy anymore, I guess he just left, but I always remember that moment so clearly because, really, I’ve never ever laughed that much. 😅 I ended up just leaving the store without buying anything, without my chocolate, as I was too embarrassed and still laughing too much to function properly.
4. What has been your most favourite moment of blogging so far?
Hard to choose! In general the moment when I finish a draft and realise I did that. That feels pretty good. I think the most favourite though so far is probably when I got the first comment in one of the posts saying that it had helped someone else. 💜
5. Do you have a favourite book to curl up with? What is it?
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller. It’s a romance novel. Oh, the feels! 🥰😭
6. If you had no fear, what would you aim for? In life and for your blog…?
I would probably widen my blog eventually into some additional public speaking related events and group discussions. I’d love to go out into different companies and organisations and hold sessions on productivity and how to keep your teams and yourself happy and balanced at work, manage stress better. Things like that. Right now, that sounds too scary though. One step at a time.
7. What are you most excited about for 2020?
Developing my website and blog and seeing how it goes!
8. Are you a Night Owl… or An Early Bird?
Can I say neither? 😅 I get tired early towards the evening, but I absolutely hate getting out of bed early! I’m trying to get up early now, by 7 am during weekdays and 9:30 am during weekends as part of my November goals, and it’s soooo hard! I guess I’m a fake early bird this month.
9. Do you have a collection of anything?
I have a collection of Star Trek comics in my bookshelf, and a bunch of pretty and/or interesting rocks I like to collect from my walks outside. Sometimes I come home and my pockets are full of rocks.
10. What’s your favourite HEALTHY food?
I love caesar salad! I have it often when I go to a restaurant. 🥗
11. Which of all your wonderful blog posts is YOUR favourite?
It’s probably the post that makes the least sense to my readers due to being a dream. 😅 It’s the one titled ‘Sadness that didn’t exist‘. It’s quite personal and it’s about a dream that caused me to feel very deeply, and I had to write about it.
11 questions from Jordyn & my answers
1. How did you get into blogging?
I think it’s a combination of wanting to do something good with my bad mental health experiences (so it counts for something), and my love for writing and web design. Also, I kind of wanted to reach people. So I think that equals blogging for me. 😊
2. What do you do to de-stress?
I take a holiday from work. I turn off work-related notifications on my phone. I observe my cats sleeping (it’s relaxing!) and I sleep as late in the morning as I possibly can! Watching Netflix with my boyfriend is also one of my favourite moments for relaxing.
Writing, when done for the sake of writing and not because there is a deadline, is super relaxing. (I have a post about some de-stressing methods I use here if you want to read more about it!)
3. If you could visit any decade, what would it be and why?
I would visit the 1960’s to follow the manned moon landing live! Preferably on the moon, if I could!
4. What is your superpower (something you are really good at)?
That’s a difficult one to think about, as for such a long time I felt like I’m not good at anything at all. I think nowadays after growing into my role at work, I would say making people feel comfortable in a stressful situation is what I’m good at. Well, work-related situations. If it’s a personal situation, then I’m totally lost and feel out of my element.
5. If you could master any one thing, what would it be?
I would like to be able to approach any wild animal and instead of either running away or attacking me, they would come to me for a cuddle and we would be friends! 🐯
6. What is your favourite place you’ve travelled to or a place you would like to travel?
My favourite place to travel is San Francisco, in California. I live in the UK so it’s far away from here. I went there for work a few years ago, and also did a few personal trips there by myself. I also visited the Yosemite National Park and it was amazing. I can’t wait to go back one day.
7. What little things brighten your day?
When it’s sunny, my day instantly starts on a positive note! ☀️ When my cats do something cute or funny, like give each other a bath or suddenly run around the house like mad. When my boyfriend laughs, it brightens up my day. 🥰
8. Do you have a favourite book or author?
I mentioned Robert James Waller in one of the questions above. He wrote one of my favourite books, The Bridges of Madison County. I use to collect copies of it in my bookshelf. 🙂 I also like pretty much any book by Stephen King!
9. What is your go-to weeknight dinner?
I’m quite fond of fish fingers and broccoli and other veggies made in the oven at the moment. In fact, I’m going to make it tonight!
10. What are three things you couldn’t live without?
- My boyfriend (I thought I was destined to be alone)
- My cats
11. What are three things you are grateful for?
- The internet for widening our knowledge and reach about anything and everything
- My employer for giving me a chance all over again
- The Samaritans helpline person who helped me start my recovery journey from depression
My 11 nominations
Here are the bloggers I nominate for the Sunshine Bloggers Award! They have awesome blogs and super nice, helpful, uplifting content!
My questions for the nominees
1. When did you start blogging?
2. What’s your proudest moment from this year?
3. If you had to give one piece of advice to a newbie blogger, what would it be?
4. How do you relax?
5. Do you have a favourite quote? What is it?
6. What’s the first item closest to you on your left at this moment?
7. What’s your favourite type of pen to write your notes or journal with?
8. Do you blog full-time or part-time?
9. How do you balance blogging and other life stuff so you don’t burn out?
10. What’s your dream holiday destination?
11. Who is your favourite person and why?
Thank you again, Kim and Jordyn, for nominating me. It’s a big boost in motivation for blogging and writing. I hope you have a lovely rest of the day and week ahead and let’s keep in touch on Twitter! 😊