If you’re like me, you’ve been in a place in your life where you’re in pursuit of happiness. Well, what is happiness to you? Is it some large entity you’re chasing, a whole state of being you want to reach, or does it consist of smaller particles scattered over time that bring joy to your life?
Butterflies in your stomach? 🦋
There probably are a few actual definitions out there that explain precisely what happiness is from a neurological or psychological viewpoint. In addition to that, every person has their own definition of what happiness is to them based on their experiences and circumstances, as well as what kind of things they enjoy doing. I will be concentrating on the latter here.
My own definition of happiness has changed a lot over time, and will probably change again as my circumstances evolve. However, I have come to learn that it is so very important to capture happy moments and celebrate them when they happen, even if they are tiny things, part of your normal day-to-day.
So, I will celebrate these moments by sharing them – I will list below some of the things that I associate with feelings like joy, satisfaction, success, and comfort. These are mostly what makes happiness for me at this point in life! Can you identify with any of these points yourself too?
- Seeing my cat stroll over to his brother with the intention of attacking him, only to realise he just went over there to give a little lick and a friendly sniff on the head. 😻
- Catching a delicious whiff of strong, hot coffee with the anticipation that I am soon going to taste it in my mouth. ☕
- Seeing my boyfriend relaxed and laughing. 🥰
- Walking outside in a hurry, but managing to detect a sunny spot between all the big building shadows that normally surround me. Standing in it for a brief enjoyable moment before continuing on. ☀️
- Sitting on the window sill next to my cat, sunbathing, soaking in the sun through my back and feeling warm in the otherwise chilly flat. 🌞
- Completing a super hard level that I’ve been stuck on for weeks on my favourite mobile game (more info below) and the excitement of finding out what the next level is like. 🧩
- Doing something with ease that I used to panic about (such as brushing teeth or showering), realising that I’ve come a long way. 💪
- Spotting beautiful flowers outside and managing to snap a picture. 🌹
- Meeting a deadline and managing to do it with quality output instead of submitting something that’s been put together without thought and in a hurry. This means I had done well with my time management! ⌛
- Seeing my cat lounging in his favourite cardboard box, snoring and looking adorable. 😹
- Cooking a meal all by myself and realising that nothing went wrong, and it tasted delicious. 🥣
- Observing one of my team members learn something new at work and feeling proud of their progress. 👏
- Getting an update from my best friend about her new baby’s development as she grows (so fast!). 👶
- Learning something new about a topic I’m passionate about. 💡
Just to summarise, I have learned that happiness can be about little moments wherein you find positive feelings, such as joy, comfort, or pride in yourself or others.
In the past, these small moments were harder to notice – everything was hard to notice but the clouds, sorrow, pain, all those negative things. I’m glad that right now I am able to appreciate these moments and can capture them and share with you here. 💛
A side note – about that mobile game:
If you’re looking for a relaxing mobile game, I can recommend Farm Heroes Champions. It’s a match-three game that is challenging but at the same time, not anxiety-inducing. It’s colourful as well which adds to the pleasant experience, and bright colour is something that does play a part in my happiness, so that fits well. If you stick to the free lives routine, it will also cap your playtime.
What is happiness to you at the moment? Do you identify with any of my happy moments above? I’d love to hear about it!